BBQ off the Bypass returns for 10th annual competition this fall
NOTE TO MEDIA: Angie Quaale, BBQ champion and host of BOTB, is available for interview and on-air BBQ demos. Please contact Amy Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 778-998-0036.
[Langley, BC] Get your tongs, skewers, and smoker racks ready as the 10th annual Well Seasoned BBQ Off the Bypass returns Sunday, September 13 from 10am to 4pm in the Well Seasoned parking lot at #117-20353-64 Avenue, Langley, British Columbia. The event is FREE to the public with live music, unique displays, tasty vendors and delicious BBQ samples.
Every year, the event attracts the best of the best competitive BBQ teams from throughout the Pacific North West for a sizzling competition. This battle of the BBQ includes five categories: chicken, brisket, ribs, pork butt and an open choice. For fun, there will be an additional “Blackbox” category for teams to showcase their creativity and BBQ ability. Teams with the most accumulated points across all categories is crowned the ultimate BBQ champion and wins their share of the largest yet, cash prize of $10,000. Registration still open for interested available online.
BBQ Off the Bypass is also host to the 6th Annual Great BC Bake Off, an amateur pie competition with three categories: fruit pie, open choice, and the classic Canadian butter tart. Home cooks and bakers may register online for all categories, or one.
Angie Quaale, owner of the celebrated Well Seasoned Gourmet Food Store, first introduced BBQ On the Bypass in 2005 as a way to unite grilling enthusiasts to join the quest for ultimate barbecue. Dedicated and creative teams from across North America gather annually in Langley, BC to compete for the best smoking good meat. Since 2008, winning teams have qualified to compete in international renowned BBQ competitions including the Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational and the American Royal in Kansas City.
At a Glance
- 10th Annual BBQ off the Bypass
- September 13th, 2015 from 10:00am – 4:00pm
- #117-20353-64 Avenue, Langley, British Columbia.
- Please contact Amy Chen for photo and interview opportunities.
- Angie Quaale, BBQ champion and host of BBQ Off the Bypass.
- Chef Dez, BBQ Off the Bypass emcee and Red Seal Chef.
- Last year’s Grand Champion and Langley’s own House of Q.
- For more information on BBQ Off the Bypass, please visit the website.
- Save the Date! #BOTB2015 @bbqonthebypass is back Sept 13 w/ finger lickin’ #BBQ samples #Langley bit.ly/1RUPh7t
- Show off your baking skills in #BCBakeOff @bbqonthebypass #BOTB2015 Sept 13 in #Langley. Register: bit.ly/1CSIGUA
- Celebrate 10yrs @bbonthebypass w 30+ #BBQ teams compete to win $10k in #Langley. Who’s the #winner? bit.ly/1RUPh7t
With more than 30 teams expected to enter the 10th annual BBQ Off the Bypass from across Western Canada, Washington and Oregon and a grand prize pool of $10,000 this is an event not to be missed especially since it is free for the public to attend. Back this year are well-respected Kelly and Kathleen McIntosh who will serve as the sanctioning representatives from the Kansas City BBQ Society. They will oversee the judges that select the ultimate winners.
Red Seal Chef, Chopped Canada competitor and food columnist chef Dez is the emcee for the competition. From watching the competition unfold, to grabbing a tasty bite to eat, to grooving to live music by The New Shackletons, there will be plenty of fun for those who attend.
Along with free BBQ samples to taste, confirmed food trucks include The Chili Tank and Bambino’s. As well, the popular pulled pork sandwiches from Well Seasoned will also be sold for those looking for a meaty meal more than a sample size.
Counting down the weeks to the 6th annual BC Bake Off, Well Seasoned is releasing a new “no-bake” recipe every Wednesday, sign-up to receive the recipes here.
Pies entered into the BC Bake Off will be judged by six official judges on taste, appearance, crust, originality and overall appeal. Ribbons will be awarded for the top three submissions in each category and the first place winner in each category will win a $150 gift card to Well Seasoned.
How does it work?
Competitors cook the day before and then and submit an official submission to the judges – once the competing submissions are turned in – the public gets to eat what is not served to the judges – for free! So the tip is to choose the team you’d like to taste from and line up for your taste.
The timeline for judging, serving and awards for both competitions is as follows:
- 11:00am – Turn in Chicken then public served.
- 12:00pm – Turn in Ribs then public served.
- 12:00pm – Turn in Pie. No public sampling.
- 1:00pm – Turn in Pork then public served.
- 2:00pm – Turn in Brisket then public served.
- If you arrive later than 2pm and want to taste, there are a selection of food items available to purchase from onsite vendors and food trucks.
- 3:00pm – Turn in Blackbox. There are no public sampling as Blackbox is only for judges.
- 4:30PM – Awards and winners announced.
Want to learn how to judge be an official BBQ judge? Take this BBQ judge class to be a part of BBQ Off the Bypass by judging the Black Box competition. You can also take the table captain class to learn the protocol on presenting and handing out the competition BBQ to judges.
About BBQ off the Bypass
The annual BBQ OFF the Bypass is a Langley BC-based BBQ competition and more. The event attracts the best competitive BBQ teams from throughout the Pacific Northwest for a sizzling competition in five categories: chicken, brisket, ribs, pork butt, and an open choice category. FREE to the public, the event features live music, interesting displays, tasty vendors and delicious FREE finger licking barbecue samples. The BBQ off the Bypass is also the site of the Great BC Bake Off, an annual amateur pie baking competition, open to the public.
The event is free to the public. Learn more at: http://bbqoffthebypass.com