7th Annual Great BC Bake-Off presented by Edible Vancouver.
• Check out our Great BC Bake Off Countdown Dessert Series •
• We Only Have Pies For You •
- Fruit Pie – any kind of fruit cherry, peach, apple, berry etc.
- Open – anything goes within the outlined rules – entries must not require refrigeration
- Butter Tarts – this is a Canadian competition after all!
- This contest is open to individuals or groups working as a team
- You can enter just one or all 3 categories
- Pies must have bottom and side crusts – a top crust is not mandatory
- A neatly handwritten or typed recipe for the pie and pie crust must be submitted on a single sided standard 8 ½ by 11 sheet of paper.
- $10 entry fee per pie/tart entry – enter as many as you like (minimum of 6 tarts must be turned in per entry) Entry fee must accompany the pie/tart entry and paid in cash only.
- All entries MUST be made from scratch – including the pastry, no store bought entries will be accepted
- If you pie plate is not disposable it must be clearly marked for easy return
- Contestants agree to have their photos and recipes published without compensation
- No toppings should be submitted with the pie including whipping cream or ice cream
- All pies submitted for judging will become the property of Well Seasoned and will not be returned to the entrant after judging
- Contestants must be 16 years of age or older
- Entrants must be amateur bakers – meaning you cannot make all or part of your living by baking
- If you are competing in the BBQ Contest you may bake your pies/tarts off site and bring them with you or you can bake on site if you are so inclined
- Ribbons will be awarded for the top 3 submissions in each category
- First place winner in each category will receive a $150 Well Seasoned gift card
- Pies/Tarts will be judged by a panel of 6 judges
- Pies/Tarts will be judged –
- 50% taste – taste is judged on flavour
- 20% appearance – appearance is judged on both the pre-slice & post-slice look of the submission
- 20% crust – crust is judged for tenderness & flavour
- 10% for originality & overall appeal – how impressive in general for originality & execution of the recipe
- Each judge assigns a numerical value in each criteria category, without consultation with the other judges. For a total of 100 points. The pie receiving the highest total numerical value is the winner in that category. In the case of a tie, the judges will judge those pies/tarts again.
- Entries will be accepted from 10am – 12noon at the designated tent at the Well Seasoned BBQ on the By Pass
- LATE ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
- Prizes will be awarded during the main BBQ awards ceremony at 4pm.
- Judges decisions are FINAL
- We will NOT accept PIES THAT REQUIRE REFRIGERATION (i.e. dairy or cream pies). The person running the Pie-Baking Contest will have the final say on acceptability of pies.
- If you are a winner, you give your permission to have your photo taken during the awards ceremony and have it used along with your recipes for promotional purposes, including the BBQ *Off* the Bypass and Well Seasoned websites
Download the entry form here: Great BC Bake-Off Entry Form